Before or after listening and reading activities?
This is one of the key-questions: I use vocabulary flashcards all the time but when it should be related to a text this is a debate that depends on the teacher.
Before: it could help low students or if they have a regular level of English
After: with groups that have a very good level and they can deduce the meaning from the text
There are many activities to be done using Vocabulary:
- games: memory game, bingo, domino
- debates, interviews, descriptions
- writing: hangman, missing letters, scrambled letters
I know that teachers can give us more tips about it, so I will share here some interesting posts in various websites:
- Bringing Words to Life by Isabel Beck
- Vocabulary Games for the Classroom by Lindsey Carlton and Robert J. Marzano
- Words, Words, Words by Janet Allen
- Teaching Basic and Advanced Vocabulary: A Framework for Direct Instruction by Robert J. Marzano